Elder Jacob Romney Tonini,
The greatest expression of trust that I can give to you is your new assignment to be a "Trainer of a New Missionary" in the Oregon Eugene Mission. Congratulations - we are very proud of you. It is with love and tenderness that I extend this assignment; only the very finest missionaries are given this responsibility. We only ask outstanding missionaries to train; thank you for humbly accepting this assignment.
Your purpose as a trainer is to help your new missionary understand and live the principles described in Preach My Gospel; bringing people to Christ. You will have profound, lasting influence on the new missionary's attitude and habits. Your companion will always remember you. Please follow with exactness and faithful obedience the "Instructions for Trainers" and the "infield training for New Missionaries". These tools are inspired; and when used correctly, will bless the life of your new companion. Give prayerful consideration to these principles:
- You need to commit yourself to the highest example of obedience and effective proselyting and do everything in your power to help your companion begin their mission positively.
- Help your companion adjust to missionary life by following the daily schedule diligently, read daily in the Missionary Handbook and obey all mission rules.
- Hold companion study daily and help your companion develop and improve basic missionary skills discussed in Preach My Gospel.
- Hold daily and weekly planning sessions to help the new missionary learn how to plan and help investigators progress toward conversion.
- Make sure the new missionary participates fully as a contributing member of your companionship, giving them the opportunity to take some part in each phase of the work.
- As you begin,, please spend sufficient time in companion study and planning to thoroughly introduce your companion to the area, daily and weekly planning and goals, the needs of the investigators, current finding activities and work with members.
- Report to me and your district leaders on the progress of the new missionary.
Adopt this slogan; "I will trust and not be afraid; the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song (2 Nephi 22:2)." So, embrace this new challenge. And remember, to be a lifter of all you come in contact with, but especially your companion.
This assignment is a sacred trust between you, me and the Lord. Demonstrate the highest example of obedience and effective proselyting; and do everything in your power to help your new companion begin their mission positively.
With profound love and trust,
/s/ H. Jeffery Russell
cc: Parents, Bishop, Stake President