Monday, June 2, 2014

Week Dos: A week of learning!

Howdy!


This has definitely been a learning week! I feel more prepared for my mission than anything before! It has been a good week but I am feeling sick with a head cold or allergies or something.




So Tuesday was pretty awesome! We met with Chad, our real-life investigator that afternoon! We spent most of our first lesson talking and getting to know him and he is a cool dude! He has a Book of Mormon but we are going to have a hard time or any other missionary with him because he likes to focus on the beheadings and stuff haha... We also had our Tuesday night devotional and Elder Russell M. Nelson and his wife spoke!

Wednesday was not the best day.. I had a rough time with my companion, just trying to adjust to our styles of teaching and living so we have somewhat worked that out. We meet with the new district and, as zone leaders, we had a guideline to follow but I was the only one who bothered to read the manual so it got crazy.. but the new district is pretty awesome! In fact, they are going to the DC South mission! So they will maybe be near the Romney's.

Thursday was when I started to get sick... fun... It was also the first time that our teacher/"investigator" Brother Cowdin didn't evaluate us. But the best part was when we went to see Chad. He wasn't there but we ended up teaching a woman named Michelle from Arizona who just got there!! She really took a liking to us and we ended up setting up an appointment for Friday!

Friday was our in-field orientation day! We spent almost our entire day learning how to interact with the members, using goals and planning, contacting, basically all the nitty-gritty stuff of missionary work! The MTC employees put on a play for us that was actually pretty entertaining! However, it was the lesson with Michelle that took the cake! She has doubts about being here and feels as though she is wasting her time and our time, mainly because she is struggling with finding out for herself who Christ is. Lots of tears were shed and she is gonna stay and try to find herself! We are meeting with her tonight! I also learned an important lesson about staying focused. Our district was starting to get restless during companion study and after 20 minutes of that our teacher Brother Sebesta (who usually goes outside during comp study) came and took us on a field trip. We walked around for about 5 minutes in silence and wrote down what we heard. After we came in, he started asking us what we heard and then he proceeded to tell us what he heard coming from our classroom. He said that we should take more time with the Spirit than talking about things of the world.

Saturday was a "meh" kind of day. Our teacher wasn't there so we couldn't teach him and our investigator had a family emergency so except for an impromptu door approach, we were in class all day long.

Sunday was Fast Sunday but with me being sick, my branch presidency wanted me to stay hydrated so I did as much as I could. We had leadership training (about being an example) and then went off to mission conference. The MTC presidency and their wives spoke about the worth of souls, being obedient, and working to the fullest. We had an awesome testimony meeting and district meeting! I love my zone and district! I also had my departure interview! After walking around the temple, we ate (about time we did) and went to the departure devotional. The biggest thing that stood out to me was what President Nally said about what we need to do in the mission field. He gave us six pieces of advice



  • Love your companions 
  • Write in journal
  • Missions are HARD
  • Spirit's job is to convert, not ours
  • NO REGRETS!!
  • Increase testimony of Joseph Smith

  • Pretty good advice I'd say!
    That night we had our Sunday night devotional. The director of proselyting for the church spent most of his talk talking about how the early church was spread and I was confused until he said that the church was spread through social networking! Pretty cool analogy! The one thing that hit me hard was the video we watched. It was Character of Christ, a talk by Elder Bednar to the MTC. He compared the cookie monster to the natural man (I WANT COOKIE! I WANT BAPTISM NOW!) and how we should turn out instead of in in times of distress. Pretty deep talk.


    And this morning was pretty crazy! So we missed a temple session because we were waiting on some elders from our zone and we are sitting in the chapel and Kyle and Christie Christiansen were in my session! She is about to give birth to their fourth child and were visiting Kyle's parents in Utah. Also, Kyle's parents know Elder Provstgaard's family! Small world eh? Also, three of our eight missionaries left this morning for Toronto! 

    Well I love you all! I am grateful to be serving my Lord and Savior! There are gonna be pictures so stay tuned!

    Love,

    Elder Tonini

    No comments:

    Post a Comment