Monday, January 12, 2015

Go Ducks!

Hey everyone!

I hope the first full week of the New Year treated you well! We had a pretty slow week and unfortunately we weren't able to get a ton done like we had planned on. So here we go!

Monday was pretty good! We did our normal shopping and basketball

throughout the day. We spent a little bit of time tracting after P-Day ended but the people we talked to were rude haha! We had a great FHE with the Idia**'s and got to know them a lot better. There are four Idia** families in the ward (kinda like when Uncle Ross was in our ward!) so we are still trying to get around and get to know all of them. Brother Idia** gave us a lift over to the other side of town where dinner was. It was just the husband there because the wife had to go play for an unexpected baptism that was going on that night! We made our own veggie pizzas and after dumping a ton of Sriracha on it, it was extremely good!

Tuesday we had temple service for the first time in forever! It felt great doing our part to keep the temple grounds looking good! When Elder Galloway and I arrived, we were presented with two options; either pull up weed block and kinickinick(? I have no idea how to spell it!) or take out a whole garden bed of a different plant. We chose the latter and with the help of the Central Point 1st Ward Elders and the Sisters, we were able to knock out that whole flowerbed! The sister that runs this deal thought it would take two different days to do it; we did it in one! I also found out at that time from one of the Central Point 1st Ward Elders who heard it from a member that Craig Biggio made the Hall of Fame! Sweet! When we got home, I had leftovers for lunch because my honey had disappeared... Anyways, after we got cleaned up and had lunch, our afternoon was pretty much a bust. We were not able to meet with anyone and no one wanted to talk to us. After dinner we saw the Cole***'s and shared a New Years message with them. After the video, our conversation turned from the video to the view of life after death that the Church has! It was interesting to say the least.

Wednesday was rough. We were supposed to go chop wood for an investigator but he had to bail for the second straight week. He didn't tell us until we were gearing up to go so we were not able to get a lot done in the morning. After lunch we walked on over to Central Point East and tried to OYM while we were walking over. There was no one on our side of Pine Street to talk to! Bummer! We walked over to the member who has our bikes and she informed me that I would probably have to get the crank arm replaced eventually according to her husband. She was 100% right. Although Brother Whit*** tightened it as much as he could, it came loose the moment I started to pedal! Luckily my bike and I were able to make it home in one piece! After dropping the bikes off, we headed out trying to contact people but to no avail. After dinner we set up a couple of FHE appointments before going to the church to download some church materials on Gospel Library. I had downloaded so much stuff on the app that I had to uninstall it and reinstall it to make room! Towards the very end of our night, we decided to heed President Russell's council he gave us at the beginning of his service as mission president and went to Yo Twist, a frozen yogurt place near our apartment since one of our members gave us coupons! When we were walking over to the building, we watched in horror as this little boy ran across a dark street and almost get nailed by a mini van! Oh man that was pretty terrifying! The yogurt however was excellent!

Thursday was bad for Elder Galloway. He went to bed perfectly fine but went downhill during the night. He didn't sleep at all that night and woke up to a migraine, a sore throat, and a fever. We had several appointments that day so we made arrangements with the Gold Hill Elders to come to Central Point and one of them go with me to the appointments. We were supposed to go teach Jay P. but he messaged us and informed us that he was dealing with a nasty bout of the flu and wasn't going to be able to meet with us for awhile. When we got that message, Elder Porter and I tried seeing Jay H. but he wasn't home either! With the time we had and having access to Gold Hill's truck, I took my bike to the local bike shop and walked out having to buy another crank arm for $25 bucks. Bummer. We came back to the apartment and Elder Galloway was doing better so we ended our mini exchange with Gold Hill and tried seeing people before dinner. Dinner was great! The member who signed up for dinner took us to Texas Roadhouse! While the food was absolutely awesome (country fried chicken; my favorite!), I was quite disappointed with the lack of Texas ANYTHING in that Texas Roadhouse! Not a single Texas flag was flying or hung up on the wall! Pretty pitiful! After dinner, we had a two hour correlation meeting with Bishop. We discussed things that the stake president wants the wards to focus on and what we could do to help fulfill the goals the stake president had set. After correlation, Elder Galloway received some Airborne medicine stuff from the senior missionary couple and we hit the hay after planning to let him get some more rest.

Friday wasn't a lot of fun. We had zone training meeting in the morning and it was a good one! We learned that we are going to have interviews with President Russell this Wednesday, a district leader training meeting this week, a temple trip in February, and that we will be able to watch the national championship game tonight! We had some fun role plays and there was a lot of good instruction. After ZTM, we got a call from the bike store saying my bike was done. I ended up having to pay another $15 for the labor... I have never had so many different issues on a bike happen in the span of three months! After lunch and a quick power nap, we got a ride from a member to see Mike and watch a conference talk with him. It made a good impression on him and he shared a lot of good insights afterwards. We stopped in to see Dana afterwards but he wasn't too excited to see us, considering we woke him up from a nap haha so we just talked to him for a minute and let him go back to bed. We headed over to the church to sync our Area Books and download some more material on Gospel library before dinner. The Gold Hill Elders had a member bringing them dinner at the church and we had a member bringing us dinner so we had dinner together! Afterwards, we walked around and tried to contact members and some potentials but we came up empty.

Saturday we had service at the Calvary Temple church for the first time in forever! They had a lot of people come in so we were pretty busy taking food out to the cars! While we were waiting in line to fill up our cart, I was talking to Elder Johanson and Elder Burnett about what they were doing afterwards. They asked what I was having for lunch and I mentioned that my honey had disappeared and so I was surviving until Monday to buy more. Elder Johanson asked me what brand it was and how much was left and after I replied to his inquiry, he told me that his companion had "borrowed" my honey for the week when they were washing their laundry at our apartment! That solved the mystery of the disappearing honey. We ended up going to McDonalds (mainly because Elder Johanson offered me food!) and while we were there, Elder Burnett realized that he left his bag with his iPad in the Calvary temple church! Oops! After lunch we did not get anything accomplished. The lawns we were planning to mow did not need to be mowed, none of the people we were trying to see were around, and the investigators we had lessons set up for canceled because of something that came up. We had dinner with the family that had us over for Christmas and Elder Galloway and I had our picture taken so they could put us in their missionary scrapbook to remember the missionaries who had come through Central Point! It is a really cool idea! That pretty much finished up our night because of the lateness of the hour.

Sunday I woke up with a headache and my stomach rumbling because of a fast

President Russell asked the mission to do. Luckily we did not have any morning meetings so we were able to show up to church at our normal time. Sacrament meeting was great but Elder Galloway and I had to bail towards the end of the last talk to help a Primary teacher with a lesson. She wanted one of us to be Lucifer and the other to be Jesus and be interviewed by her Primary kids about what happened in the grand council in heaven! Elder Galloway and I were given hats and I wore a mustache and a goatee! It was a ton of fun hearing these Primary kids figure out who we were and the reason behind agency and that grand council in heaven. After church was over we waited to see if Angelo and Spencer had made it to church but they did not. We were walking back to our apartment and a member stopped and took us the rest of the way home! My headache got super bad so I laid down for a little bit and tried to get rid of it. It took a little while and some pain meds but I succeeded! After I got rid of my headache, we walked around and tried to OYM before dinner. After dinner we saw a few of the members and talked to them to wrap up our night.

I just want to close with my testimony. I know that this church is true. I know the Book of Mormon better than I have ever before and I know that it was written for our day. Joseph Smith was called to open the last dispensation and Thomas S, Monson is the prophet on the earth today. There is no doubt!

I love y'all! Have a fantastic week!

Elder Jacob Tonini
“Do your duty, that is best. Leave unto the Lord the rest.”
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

No comments:

Post a Comment